As we move into a new season it is key to start decluttering your old wardrobe and start getting organized. I feel like most people cringe at the thought of cleaning out their closets and moving things around when the weather starts changing. I am here to give you a list of 5 things to keep or buy and 5 things to lose so you can get the process done as quickly as possible!
So what’s on the keep/buy list? Basics, basics, basics. Never forget these words! When I am shopping or cleaning out my closet I always make sure to keep my basics. These are the things that aren’t trendy and that will never go out of style. If you already have some of the things on this list, make sure they are still in style. Some leather jackets DO go out of style, my friends, so you want to make sure to invest in a timeless jacket that will last you for years.
1. Black leather jacket
2. A nice trench or wool coat
3. Leather boots or booties
4. Cashmere sweaters in solid colors
5. A classic handbag that will last you season to season
If you’re willing to splurge, the list below is for you!
If you’re more on the budget friendly side, check out these MUST haves!
Once you have this list in place it is easy to see what needs to go.
1. Always check your wool and cashmere pieces. Most people never check the items that they rarely wear or that were stored in tubs for months. Keep an eye out for pilling and holes in sweaters.
2. Try on ALL of your jeans and leggings. People tend to gain or lose weight when the seasons change. Most people stock pile their jeans and never try them on but once a year. I highly suggest keeping 3-5 pairs of great fitting jeans for Fall.
3. If you have been storing sweaters in a tub or on hangers in a closet, be sure to check the fabric condition. Does it have hanger dimples? Does the elastic in the fabric still hold up or does it stretch out and stay stretched out?
4. Check your boots and make sure they are still in style. Most people aren’t buying nice boots every season so they wait years and years until they purchase something new. By that time their shoes are completely out of style but it’s all they have so they go ahead and wear them. Toss em and buy a new pair!
5. Costume jewelry… This is something all of us are guilty of hoarding but now it’s time to toss some. So what are the signs that you need to send some packing? Have you worn it in 3-6 months? Answered no, toss it. Is it tarnishing? Do your hands smell after you touch it? Is it turning your skin colors? If you answered yes to the last 3 questions, it is time to go. Only keep the pieces you are definitely going to wear. There is no need to keep a collection of cheap jewelry!
I strongly suggest that if you have way too much stuff and are looking to get your wardrobe organized you consider looking into a capsule wardrobe. These aren’t for everyone but having an extended capsule wardrobe would actually help solve the stress of closet clutter. If anyone is interested in me posting about capsule wardrobes leave a note in the captions!