In the fashion world there is a lot of talk about investment pieces and a lot of opinions on what is actually considered an investment piece. One person could consider an Hermes bag an investment bag, where someone else would consider a Chanel bag to be an investment and others could think a $200-$500 bag would be an investment. Investments are a loose term these days depending on a lot of factors in someone’s life so I am going to try and cover the basis on what is considered an investment piece and what you should be focusing on investing; for him AND her.
Just keep in mind, you don’t have to spend a fortune to have an amazing wardrobe. Focus on the pieces that are worth the investment and start there. My number one suggestion when investing in something is quality over quantity. You want to focus on pieces that will last you years and not just through a season. The items should be seasonless and always a classic piece. I’ve compiled 2 collages below, one for women and one for men with a perfect example of affordable investment pieces from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. There’s no better time to shop for some of these pieces than now, while everything is on sale! Prices go up August 6, so don’t wait too long.
Click any item on the collage below to shop directly.
1. Find a staple coat for Fall, something that will last you multiple seasons. Make sure you pay attention to fit and sizing especially if you are wanting to layer sweaters underneath. Focus on finding a classic, solid color like black, grey or a tan so they will go with everything you throw on. Don’t source out something that is too dressy either; you want to be able to wear it with casual clothing as well or even over your workout clothes, if needed.
2. If you’re like me you can’t live without your sunglasses. This is something I will actually spend money on. I’m sure most of y’all have noticed the same Gucci sunnies I have worn for years… I paid $325 for those FOUR years ago and they are still going strong. I’m not one to lose my sunglasses so I can justify that type of purchase.
3. Finding high quality watches is something I highly recommend. Personally, I have been investing in nice watches since my early 20s and haven’t regretted my decision. There is nothing wrong with wearing less expensive watches but it’s always nice to have a prized possession like a gorgeous Rolex or Cartier that will literally last you a lifetime.
4. Jewelry is always a tough one to justify splurging on. I definitely have my fare share of costume jewelry but I also have beautiful diamonds and more expensive pieces that I wear everyday and don’t take them off such as my diamond earrings or my diamond snake necklace. Not every piece of jewelry needs to be extremely expensive but it’s nice to have a piece that isn’t going to turn your neck or arm colors if you start sweating. Pick something that is timeless!
5. The number 1 thing I splurge on during Fall are multiple pairs of leather boots mainly because I ONLY wear boots in the cooler weather. My go-to last year were my Frye boots and Vince Camuto OTKs. I’m sure most of y’all are thinking Vince Camuto isn’t an investment but honestly, these boots are normally almost $200 and high quality. I’ve had some of my VC boots for years!!
6. A great leather tote is a must have for women. I’ve had my fair share of cheapie totes that I absolutely love, but after using them for a couple of months they just start looking worn and start falling apart. If I am headed to a meeting or even traveling I opt for a nicer leather tote. They will always dress up an outfit and they will last for years and years. Stick with a classic color and you’re good to go.
7. Lastly, stock up on beauty products!! I would normally never add this to an investment post, but honestly, some of the best beauty products are splurge worthy. Yes, there are plenty that work great from drug stores but there are also so many that are a little more expensive that I’ve seen amazing results with.
Click any item on the collage below to shop directly.
1. First things first… Guys, invest in a nice suit. I don’t care if you wear it once or twice a year, go get a nice, tailored suit. When the time comes that you need a suit, its always too late and you’re wearing something that doesn’t even fit anymore. It happens more times than not and most people are left scrambling. OR if you just refuse to buy a suit, then invest in a classic sport coat that will go with a nice pair of jeans.
2. Speaking of nice jeans. Y’all need to buy a classic pair of dark jeans that fit amazing! Grayson literally has 2 pairs of jeans, one he wears everyday and the other for dressier occasions. A nice pair of jeans can really make an outfit and there are so many great options on sale right now!
3. I don’t know many guys that refuse to wear a watch other than my husband but they are such a staple piece in a man’s wardrobe. There was always someone that told me, from a young age, to always pay attention to the type of watch a guy is wearing because you can tell a lot from that. I’m not sure what that means for Grayson, but hey, it worked out! Anyway, I know men love their watches and I am telling you now, don’t skimp on that!
4. Let’s talk belts. I feel like in Austin, belts just aren’t as necessary as they used to be since no one dresses up here but if you are planning to dress up or even dress down with your shirt tucked in, wear a belt. Personally, I always notice belts and am even more impressed if I notice a guy has taken the time to invest in a nice belt.
5. Shoes are arguably the most important investment a man can make in his closet. Your main goal with finding shoes is finding shoes that are made to last. In the collage above I listed a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile leather boots. Where do you think they got that name? You can literally walk in them for 1000 miles and they will still be in great shape. These boots go with anything and everything, dressy or casual. They’re currently on sale for $278 from $415. Seriously y’all, now’s the time.
6. Ok, I know this is something guys REFUSE to invest their money on but I am telling you to DO IT NOW. Invest in beauty products! I don’t know many guys who actual apply sunscreen on a daily basis or even wrinkle creams. Guys, get on it. Ya, y’all age way more gracefully than women but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take care of your skin.
7. Just like beauty products, I think people forget the need for a quality pair of sunglasses. I feel like most people go shopping for sunnies as a fashion statement but the main purpose of wearing sunglasses is to shield your eyes and cover the thinnest skin on your body from harsh sun rays. Polarized sunglasses are an even better option, especially if you are splurging a little more.
On Ashley –
On Grayson –
Sunglasses – Oliver Peoples (Similar HERE)