I know I’ve been talking all about hot dates and what to wear for Valentine’s, but I have to be honest… I really can’t stand the stereotype of V-Day! At least to me, I feel that too many people have lost focus about what Valentine’s is really about. Lately, when I grace my favorite place to waste money (Target) I am taken aback by the mass amount of pink and red hearts, V-Day cards, lots and lots of chocolate and an overwhelming amount of roses. Has this “holiday” just become a huge racket for companies to rip us off and make money with the illusion of love?? How did it get to this point?? What happened to just being happy with the one you love without going overboard spending money?? Why is there so much pressure to be overly loving on this one day when we should be focused on each other everyday??
When I asked Grayson what we should do for Valentine’s Day he quickly said It’s a crock of shit! But i’ll do something if you want… Strong words, but I do have to agree with him. At least he would play along if I wanted to do something special! I honestly can’t remember the last time I really went all out for Valentine’s besides in middle school or with my high school sweetheart and that was over 13 years ago! As I’ve matured and found my one true love, I’ve realized how superficial Valentine’s really is…
Here are my Top 10 Reasons to Hate Valentine’s Day:
1. You feel like crap if you’re single (sometimes). Not only do you just feel like poo being alone but you get to see everyone’s posts on social media that make you want to claw your eyes out. Even though I’m married, all of those posts STILL make me want to claw my eyes out!
2. You still kinda feel like crap even when you’re in a relationship. The anxiety and stress for the guy to come up with something amazing and romantic sounds awful… I know I would be stressed out if I had to plan something extravagant and different than what we would normally do for date night.
3. People put too much focus on gifts and STUFF. Do you really NEED that stuff?? No. People are EXPECTED to buy gifts! There just seems to be an inappropriate focus on gifts. Why don’t you spend your time with your lover?? We should be showing each other love every single day not expecting to get designer stuff. I recently saw a piece of art that said I hate the Valentine’s Day Industry but I am still madly in love with you.
4. The girls that LOVE this holiday just want, want, want… (major turnoff) There’s also too much stress for the guy to come up with extravagant gifts. I know girls expect something a little more high end just because it’s Valentine’s! And you know they all just want bragging rights. 🙂 Which brings me to my next point…
5. The mark up on flowers is insane!!! No need to explain this one…
6. Reservations are a hassle!!
7. Kids are also getting this holiday engrained in their heads at such a young age. I used to be so excited for V-Day in elementary school and I feel like that was a huge influence on the way I thought about it growing up. That is, until I realized that it isn’t about what we’ve been taught, but about the love of your life.
8. It’s not nearly as fun for the girl to gift the guy… I mean, how boring.
9. Retailers are just shoving this crap down our throats!! I don’t want to see Valentine’s Day stuff immediately after Christmas!! It’s over 2 months away!!
10. Who wants to feel fat and unsexy in the lingerie you’re expected to wear?? Can’t I just feel fat in my PJs devouring pizza??
11. Since 3 and 4 were kinda similar here’s a bonus reason – it’s just all so cliché.
If we really focused on the roots of Valentine’s instead of this Hallmark holiday I think it would be a little more tolerable!
SO, what do y’all think of Valentine’s?? I know I stopped hating it when I stopped putting any focus on it at all and just acting like it was any other normal day. I don’t expect any gifts or anything special. I will be spending quality time with my husband as we would any other day. But I will take some overpriced flowers! 🌺 🌼 💐